Victor Radin

Default Brand of tools?

In article , says...
Wow an 8 piece set for $30
(
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47066).
That just doesn't seem right ... too good to be true type thing. I am
seeing other sets that are at least $75 and am seeing a single tool that is
selling for $75.

Are they really any good? Not to sound disrespectful, but is this just the
"company line" to get me to buy tools at Harbor Freight? To be honest, I am
thinking of getting these and just replacing individual ones if there seems
to be a better one out there.

This is a decent starter set- usable, reasonable, you can refresh or
learn sharpening techniques, re-grind the profile for experiments, and
make shavings at the same time. I think the company line is to start
slow and inexpensive (harbor fright or other- doesn't matter much) and
work up to those $75 each tools.

As you say- replace individual tools on an "as-needed" basis. I still
use the starter set that came with my Jet 1236, added a few crown and
some Sorby's to the mix, a couple of home-made single-purpose tools
thrown in for fun.
--
Happy Turning,
Vic