Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] walter_evening@post.com is offline

Default Barry Goldwater On The UN

On Sunday,September 7, 2014 3:54:01 PM UTC-4,jon_banquer wrote:
On Sunday, September 7,2014 12:35:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:

) He ran because many young republicans wanted him to run and pushed him very hard to run.

Yeah , the same thing roughly happened with LBJ'S second run, but I guess Johnson just felt he couldn't either for a second term - which is what is supposed to be done if you think you can't win.

That's probably the case with Mitt Romney or this tea partier now, Ben Carson, err... èxcuse me - "Doctor" - Ben Carson. They know it wouldn't work but their minions just don't get it.

Barry Goldwater would not be welcome in the GOP today.

I'd say that with the 1960's environment having such cooperation between big labor representation and business leaders, pretty much all republicans then would not be welcome today.

Today, the labor movement is less powerful, more in-fighting, etc... In 1968 you got what? $10.00 an hour after five years in. Today, you MIGHT get that much working non-union and not much more working union.

This gives Republicans added comfort in not welcoming ANYONE else but their closest friends/business associates, etc. No one else.