Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd Todd is offline

Default refrigerator freezer troubles

Hi All,

I am breaking my no eMail after 8:00 pm rule
as the typo's flow like water. So I can't be
held responsible!

Epilogue:

After running up to Reno three times, I finally got
the right relay part. The proper part number is 2213105
and has been replaced by 8201769. The part number in
the parts list (8201769) was a complete joke. Reading
the part number off the actual part cured the problem.

Appliance Parts was very gracious about exchanging the
wrong part, since I had not open up any packaging. When
the held the old part in their hand, they just shook
their heads. Apparently, I am not the first person with
the problem.

The symptom was poor cooling and a transient smell
of burning rubber.

The condenser fan was found to leaking oil and
was replaced. Air flow increased substantially.
Also the lower coils were coated in dust. They
were cleaned.

The compressor and the relay made no noise. My
wife described the typical noise as a snap, followed
by a short whooshing noise. None were present.
Stormin' told me to look for noise.

Measuring the resistance of the condenser came out
normal. Measuring the voltage to the relay was
also normal at 115 VAC. A rattling noise was
observed when I shook the relay in my hand.
The new relay had no rattle.

Also, the capacitor fit perfectly on the the
8201769 replacement relay.

When I FINALLY replaced the relay with the correct part
and plugged the thing in: no noise. S***! Then
about 5 seconds later a loud snap and a rattle
from the compressor. The rattle diminished in about 8
seconds to quiet. S*** again. So I unplugged it and let
it sit. This time a loud snap, but no rattle.

Oh No! Then I realized that once the condenser gets to
pressure, it becomes silent. It also takes a long time
to release that pressure. It also says my condenser is
in good shape.

My compressor is a Matsu****a (Panasonic's parent company).
Yippee!

So I felt the outgoing and incoming freon lines. The
outgoing was hot and the incoming was cold. 2x yippee!
I take back the bad words. Then I felt the air
coming out the front of the unit. It was
warm. 3x yippee!

The refrigerator cooled faster than I remember it ever
cooling (I can remember back to 2001). In about 1/2 hour
it was down to temperature. My wife has been playing
with the controls to cherry it out. This morning
it was -2F in the freezer section and 32F in the
refrigerator section.

Lessons learned:

That part number on the part trumps the parts diagram

Parts diagrams are only an aid. They are not exact.

Always take the part with you

Measure the voltage to the relay

Measure the resistance across the pins on the compressor

Look at total cost of ownership, not just the original price
of an appliance. (New refrigerators are now 5 to 7
year units. Better to repair an old, good unit.)

Changing compressors (soldering/welding, purging, recharging)
is over my head. But nothing else is!

Listen to your wife. She will know every noise that goes
bump in the night. Women are more observant than guys
anyway.

Always go fishing (hey, it clears your head)

I really appreciate all the help and encouragement everyone
gave me. Special thanks to Stormin', who kicked it when
finally provided with the proper information.

Man that refrigerator is working nice now! And now that
I have fixed it, I have a certain pride in it too.

-T