Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default non-porcelain bathtub repair question

On 9/11/14, 4:45 PM, DaveT wrote:
I've got an 11 yr old non-porcelain tub that has had a couple hairline
cracks in the base of it. These don't leak but I think I should do
something to get rid of the structural weakness that this sets up,
before the cracks widen.

I've got some white Bondo that I recently used for an exterior wood
repair job. All the repair info I've seen on this stuff has putting in
some fiberglass "netting", and then applying the epoxy stuff. I doubt
that's necessary for dealing with a hairline crack.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Acrylic tubs aren't strong. A good installation has a bed of plaster or
concrete under the plastic. If it isn't properly supported, it's likely
to flex and eventually crack. Sometimes you can get access to see
what's underneath.

They make special expanding foam for tubs that aren't properly
supported, if there's a floor underneath. You drill 1/4" holes in the
area around the crack and inject the foam. Then you sand it flush.

You drill a 1/4" hole at each end of the crack to stop it from
continuing. Then you fill the crack and those two holes with 2-part
polyester. You sand that nice and smooth. Then you get a spray can of
bath tub paint that's the right color. Keep applying coats until you
like it.