Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. slocomb John B. slocomb is offline

Default Way to mix concrete without a cement mixer

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 07:12:21 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I have some projects at home for which I am wanting to make my own concrete with Portland cement, gravel, sand, and of course water. I need a fair amount of concrete but not all at one time. I don't have a cement mixer and it would be a pain to rent one every time because I cant do all these projects in one day or even a weekend. I am wanting to pur a footer along my driveway to make a brick boarder, and I also have some concrete edging I want to make.

Is there anything without too much trouble I could fab together that would be relatively in expensive?

I wondered if a 55 gallon drum and a tractor post hole digger for a mixer would work?

Any help is appreciated!

You can mix concrete with a hoe or shovel in a bath tub, or other
receptacle. People did it for years and are still doing it. Use your
shovel as a measuring device and shovel in the required shovel full's
of cement, sand and gravel and add a little water and start mixing.
Strive for the least water you can use to get a mix that is as strong
as possible.
--
Cheers,

John B.