Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe Tool Sharpening?

mike wrote:
On 9/9/2014 7:17 PM, wrote:
On Monday, September 8, 2014 8:06:54 AM UTC, mike wrote:

With the lathe, I'm not so much cutting metal as I'm rubbing it
off. ;-) Been experimenting with sharpening bits by hand, but I no
longer
have the manual dexterity to get it straight.

It's not logical, but I've spent $10 and a week to save a dollar...

and enjoyed every minute of it.

Thanks,

mike

When you say sharpening bits by hand, I am assuming you mean holding
the bit by hand and sharpen using a bench grinder. It really is not
that hard to do. I would recommend that you spend a little time
practicing. Getting so you can do it is worth the effort. If you let us
know where you are someone might take a little time
and show you how they do it. I sharpen drill bit by hand but do not
do it as most people do it. I start at the heel and progress to the
cutting edge. Dan

Thanks for the input, but that ain't gonna happen.
Knowing how is not my biggest problem.
Manual dexterity has never been my strength. At 66, my hands don't
always go where my brain tells 'em to go.
Trying to cut a compound angle in three dimensions isn't working for
me. I can't hold the bit still enough to grind a flat surface at any
angle. I need to build some simple guides/fixtures to constrain movement
relative to the grinding wheel. Of course, a better grinder would
help...

Mike , I use the HF 3" grinder that has an orange grindstone on the right
and the "buffing" pad on the left . My rest is set just above
center-of-wheel , and I can hold the lathe bit flat on the rest and get a
pretty decent angle on the sidesand front . It's a cheap unit , around 30
bucks IIRC , and works really well for lathe bits . If you'd like I can
email you a sheet that has angles and all that for several common lathe
cutters .
Heh , I probably got it here !

--
Snag