mt

Default -What's causing the Headstock to hum

Check the belt cover. I've had the same prob on 2 different lathes. If
tightening the screws doesn't fix it, try putting thin neoprene or fiber
washers between the cover and the lathe.

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
My lathe is a low end Taiwan made with 3/4 HP and 1" 8 tpi.

The other day I was finishing a 9" OD maple bowl with a 3/8 X 1" scrapper

at
about 800-1000 RPM.
It worked well. Until I reached the 9" OD lip where the wall thickness
was about 3/8 thick. Then what seem to be the Headstock started to hum

at
low decibels.
I stopped and sharpen the scraper and checked the mounting. I then
continued with very gentle touch on the scraper removing minimum wood.
Still, the Headstock was humming. I changed the RPM with negative

result..
I am puzzled by this humming. I would appreciate comments as to what can
cause that humming sound.
-
Denis
Sprucewood, Rothesay, N.B