Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Way to mix concrete without a cement mixer

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:14:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/10/2014 9:12 AM, stryped wrote:
I have some projects at home for which I am wanting to make my own
concrete with Portland cement, gravel, sand, and of course water. I
need a fair amount of concrete but not all at one time. I don't have a
cement mixer and it would be a pain to rent one every time because I
cant do all these projects in one day or even a weekend. I am wanting
to pur a footer along my driveway to make a brick boarder, and I also
have some concrete edging I want to make.

Is there anything without too much trouble I could fab together that
would be relatively in expensive?

I wondered if a 55 gallon drum and a tractor post hole digger for a
mixer would work?

I'd suggest if can't find a loaner from a friend/neighbor/acquaintance
to just buy one of the cheapies from HF or the like and plan on
reselling it when you're done (if you don't find it useful enough to
just keep)

Or look on Craigslist for someone who's just done that.

I don't know if it's just a Hawaii thing, but in one "This Old House"
episode they bought concrete where you picked it up at the plant in a
mixer-trailer, then brought the trailer back when you were done.

If it's a BIG job, it may be cheapest to just have a concrete truck come
out.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services