Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat[_9_] Pat[_9_] is offline

Default Two old fire extinguishers

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 20:23:39 -0400, wrote:

Why the surprize? If the low pressure indicator doesn't show and you
can stiowder without it rattling, why would it NOT work?? OK, the
valve could be seized - but as long as they still have pressure, they
generally DO work.

I always keep one on my boat (a small pontoon) per state law. I
changed boats about 14 years ago and the new boat came with one. I
thought I would discharge the old one just to see how they work. The
gauge still showed normal pressure. I removed the safety and pulled
the trigger - absolutely nothing happened. I will guess the valve had
gotten clogged over the years with high humidity. I'm glad I didn't
have a fire while out on the lake. I wonder if the new one (now 14
years old) works? I will try to shake it as discussed elsewhere in
this thread. I wasn't aware of that technique until I read it here.

Pat