Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe Tool Sharpening?

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 04:27:37 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Thanks for the input, but that ain't gonna happen.
Knowing how is not my biggest problem.
Manual dexterity has never been my strength. At 66, my hands don't always
go where my brain tells 'em to go.
Trying to cut a compound angle in three dimensions isn't working for me.
I can't hold the bit still enough to grind a flat surface at any angle.
I need to build some simple guides/fixtures to constrain movement
relative to the grinding wheel. Of course, a better grinder would help...

Us old dogs need to stick together...

You need somebody to show you. But i know finding that guy ain't easy.

Barring that, you need something to make it easy. I'd suggest this:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Hea...-Grinder/H7762

if you go this way, I'd go to using brazed carbide lathe bits and just
sharpen the cutting edge.

Remember Karl...on small light duty lathes...carbide isnt needed or
very usable.

PJ O'Rourke