Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bringing used WWing machines across border

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 12:26:31 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/09/2014 12:11 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I can't remember offhand how many times I've been through USA/Canada
Customs. I'm guessing 20 trips; by car, train, plane and boat. While
we've never had any real trouble, we have noticed a generally more
aggressive stance from US Customs (we are US citizens) than Canadian
Customs.

As purely visitor, generally true in my experience as well. OTOH,
traveling _to_ Canada in a support role with tool kit for online coal
analyzers at various locations in Saskatchewan, Canadian customs was
extremely touchy and hard-to-please on the work-by-non-Canadian issue.
Learned eventually to just say "no" irregardless of the reality of who
was going to actually touch the machine and assure them it was only
"advisory" role from the manufacturer while onsite personnel would
perform the dirty-hands stuff...which, of course, was a complete
fabrication but it was expedient to avoid the extra hassles required
otherwise. Regardless that we were there twice a year on contract w/
Sask Power, it never got any easier over 10 years...

You ever try to take tools to the US from Canada to do a job???

I carry tools with me every time I drive across the border. When
questioned I just say "would YOU drive THIS to Florida (or
where-ever)ut tools??
We were going to Florida with our friends in their 2000 Camry - and
the US border agent said , with incredulity - "in THIS?"