Earl

Default Woodturning Classes

Concerning classes: I was in a local consortium gallery, saw some
wood turning, called the person, and he said "Sure I give classes all
the time." Come to find out this guy will do private classes for $10
for 2 and 1/2 hours! What a bargain. I've been 4 times so far and
it's been worth every penny. I had a friend who was also interested
so he is going also. Our teacher charges $10 per person no matter how
many go. He also pointed me to the local Woodcrafter Guild.

As far as your question about what does he do...he has a set routine.
First week all about the lathe, safety, etc. He turned a Christmas
ornament and a little box demonstarting spindle techniques. 2nd week
was vase (test tube in the middle) and we got to try one on our
lathes. 3rd week was a ball and we made one. 4th was a small bowl and
then what do you want to do? and I think the agenda is now up to us.
His procedure is typically, he makes the object then we do. He is
very good at helping, one of his best techniques is with us holding
the chisel or gouge and his hands guiding ours until we get the
picture. Last week he "made" me use a gouge over and over and over to
cut down some waste and practice rubbing the bevel so I got a smooth
cut--I was and am having problems with that.

Earl