Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Miller Tom Miller is offline

Default LG 50PC5D Half Picture Mystery - Help!

wrote in message
In my 16 years of repairing electronics, I've never encountered a set that
was quite so stubborn to repair. Someone gave me this set for free, and I
thought it could be easily fixed for a quick profit. Not so. The original
symptom was that just over half of the picture (from the bottom) was
missing, although the dead area was still dimly lit suggesting that scan was
still occurring there but no image. Also, the picture is not cutting off
exactly in the middle, but just above. Unhooking one of the ribbon cables to
the buffer board confirms this.
Anyway, so began the long and frustrating process of ordering modules.
Here is a quick rundown of it all:
1. Replaced lower buffer board (with new sealed part). No change.
2. Replaced main board (with used part). Same area of picture missing but
remaining picture now shrunk horizontally - later discovered I had ordered a
board for a 42" set instead. I initially assumed the board was defective.
3. Replaced logic board (with new part). No change.
4. Replaced Y-SUS board (with used part). No change.
5. Ordered yet another mainboard, also used. No picture at all this time...
it was only now that I discovered that these boards have different firmware
depending on the set - this one was actually meant for a 26" LCD believe it
or not.

At this point the set has been sitting in my shop for over 2 months and
I'm now out over $200. I'm really at a loss to know what to try next, I
don't want to waste any more time or money but at the same time I'd like to
get it working and at least cut my losses. I'd like to try replacing the
upper buffer board next but thought I would get some advice first.
Hardly worth the trouble to fix these anymore.... between long delays
waiting for boards to arrive, defective boards (happens frequently), wrong
boards ordered or shipped, and of course low resale value, it just isn't
worth it.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Are the backlights both working?