Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Refrigerator update

On 9/8/2014 10:47 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the assist, although I have an additional tip to add. We went
through and cleaned out of the coils underneath the fridge. About 4
hours later is was still very hot to the touch and we thought we were
going to have to move it out and do the back. Since by then it was
around 10:00 pm and we were tired, we decided to wait until morning.
So I could feel like I was doing SOMETHING in the meantime, I got a
fan and put it to blow under the fridge on the side of the freezer. Came
back down around an hour later and the previously hot areas were now
basically room temperature.
So, it appears as though the hotness had become self sustaining
(more or less) and the cooling from the fan broke that and allowed
coolness to reappear. Disconnected the fan this morning and about 5
hours on, everything remains as it should.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²

Congrats, Kurt! The weather turned warm here and mine started doing the same thing. Sure enough, coils underneath were covered with dust. Too close together for vacuuming, so I ended up wrapping a yard stick with a rag with furniture polish and got most of it off.

I have a Whirlpool which was made, not to be able to clean the coils.
They are underneath below the fridge side and are only accessible from
the sides! Well, you can't get in from the sides as typically you only
have front access and the outside shell goes down to the floor. A
combination of a fridge coil brush, vacuum and high pressure air from a
compressor kind of cleans it. Nice job WP for making a unit that is
guaranteed to break down due to dirt. And the average Joe cannot fix
it. I really need to cut a hole in the floor and clean it from the
basement Yeah, right!