Denis Marier

Default -What's causing the Headstock to hum

My lathe is a low end Taiwan made with 3/4 HP and 1” 8 tpi.

The other day I was finishing a 9” OD maple bowl with a 3/8 X 1” scrapper at
about 800-1000 RPM.
It worked well. Until I reached the 9” OD lip where the wall thickness
was about 3/8 thick. Then what seem to be the Headstock started to hum at
low decibels.
I stopped and sharpen the scraper and checked the mounting. I then
continued with very gentle touch on the scraper removing minimum wood.
Still, the Headstock was humming. I changed the RPM with negative result..
I am puzzled by this humming. I would appreciate comments as to what can
cause that humming sound.
-
Denis
Sprucewood, Rothesay, N.B