Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size?

On 9/9/2014 12:38 AM, micky wrote:
To everyone:

I have hundreds of machine screws at home that I've colllected, but much
is in disarray this year, and the location of the can of machine screws
is top-secret now, and I don't have access to it.

But I do have a pre-filled set of plastic drawers with lots of little
parts, so I looked there. The 6-32 wobbled, and the 8-32 wouldn't go
in. Since I didn't think there was anything between the two except
maybe metric, I went with 6-32. The box was supposed to have 3/4 and 1"
but I remember one size they sent me two bags of, and no bag of the
other,

So I had to take the 1" screws and cut them shorter with a
small-connector crimping pliers. That worked quite well as it always
does.

The guard went on fairly well, and will be good for at least a year.
If it fails, maybe I'll try something else.

The guard is probably not needed on smaller weewackers but IIRC this is
7 amps and it would rip up my ankle plenty if it had the chance. Plus I
used square line instead of round, plus I never wear long pants in the
summer at home. (When it hits the fence pickets, it practically cuts
them in half. )

I went to HD for something else anyhow and looked at the screws.
Nothing in between.

It was originally an Allen screw. They don't come in different sizes
do they? Hard to believe it's metric. It's Black and Decker,
GH1000. Ground Hog.

For a high vibration device like that, I'd
be sure to use threadlock. If there were no
plans to ever remove the screws, I'd use
epoxy on the threads.

--
..
Christopher A. Young