Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anyone Familiar with the old AN377 FM Radio IC ?

I wound up with a 681 ohm resistor to correct the gain. then the tuning meter didn;t wor alomst at all. I removed a 330 ohm across it and shunted a ten K going to it with another ten K. got it to move wlel enough but it will not go both ways.

then, something is different with the muting, so I had to disable that, but the thing actually works acceptably. The tuningmeter is not centered, and tuning it you can tell it is not how it should be, but it picks up stations in a basement with a piece of wire. It works well enough.

I looked at the prices these things are bringing and well, that is good enough. Just tell the buyer the FM isn't quite right. It doesn't hav muting anymore because I disabled it to be ablre to switch it to stereo.

That is one of my biggest pet peeves about Technics, ganging the mone stereo switch with the muting. You now, I oiwn it and I will decide when to switch to mone on a weak signal. And who knows, I might have an extra Dolby decoder around, and those thigs are great for FM if you now how to set them.

But I shipped it. the sensitivity is good, once you get it tuned it sounds fairly clear although I am sure it does not meet the FM THD specs. But there is nothing I can do. Unless I can get the original private spec IC, this is the end of the road. So we get less money for it.

Sometimes it works that way. I got ore toime into it than I should but so what, I ma not under the gun here. Plus it comes out in the wash. We got lucky on a few other units. Now the idea is to get them sold. Iam kinda surprised at how fast some of this vintage sells.

The new **** must be pretty bad. Like all bells and whistles but no REAL sound. And I have worked on some of it. I do not want it. Like a 7.1 channel Sony, I would not take it for free if you brought it to my front door. Same with th new Pioneers, Onkyos, just about all of them. All been bought out.

Yup, 587 channels of junk.

I would really have liked to get the old Technics working really right, but oh well. I simply cannot have 100 hours in it. And I cannot make a custome AN377 with red ink on it.

Now that I think of it, in Panasonic equipment when I saw a chip with red ink on it people told me you cannot use the regular part, it HAS to come from them. And it will not come soon.

I always tried to tell the people that it was them who ****ed them over, not me. A manufacturer back then counts on XC amount of the time they do not believe me. Playing the odds. But when they take it to another shop.. And alot of the time I was the next shop.

I did cost some of these companies some bransd loyalty, and they had it coming.