Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Malcolm[_2_] Ian Malcolm[_2_] is offline

Default Protecting PVC rod in 3 jaw lathe chuck

Shed_Fiddler wrote in
. au:

Gents what is the best way to protect some 20mm / ~3/4" PVC rod in a 3
jaw chuck. I don't have any collets, just the 3 jaw chuck.

Some rolled up brass shim?

PVC is fairly soft. If you are applying enough pressure to hold it, I'd
be concerned about marring it through the shim. Consider slitting and
deburring some 22mm (3/4") copper waterpipe (or 3/4" pipe and expand it a
bit) so there is something more substantial than shim spreading the
pressure.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL