Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default refrigerator freezer troubles

On 9/7/14, 8:32 PM, Todd wrote:
On 09/07/2014 07:57 AM, J Burns wrote:
I was looking to see if it might be your condenser... that is, the start
capacitor for the motor. A lot of refrigerators don't have start
capacitors, which would rule that out!

I found this:
http://www.davesrepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYcmprtest.htm

Common sense, but I was too dumb to see it! If you've got 10 ohms and 9
ohms, the third reading should be 19 ohms. I believe you have a short
in the motor. That would account for the stink episode.

Great link. My batteries are on the fritz on my meter.
Shorting the pins together gives me 5 ohms. So, I am
thinking my meter wasn't entirely accurate.

Sometimes I use contact cleaner and move plugs in jacks to get a meter
to read 0 ohms.

If it's adding a consistent 5 ohms, that would mean 4+5=9, as expected
of good windings.

Did you check output from the relay, disconnected from the motor? If I
hooked up the meter and plugged the refrigerator in (or switched a
breaker on), I'd look for 120 from run to common and a momentary 120
from start to common. A new relay might fix it!

But I've been wrong before...