Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Lightning Strike, Breakers Tripped

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 3:02:40 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 11:27:22 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

wrote:

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 1:34:18 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 13:02:17 -0400, wrote:

The best electrode these days is the steel in the foundation of your

house, if it is available.

If I'm correct this is what I have. My foundation is cable-tensioned.

I see steel buried in the foundation - between the framing (vertical),

at the access panel for phone, cable, etc. Coming from the foundation.

I see no ground rods anchored in the ground.

Sounds like a Ufer ground, which is what is used around here. They run the

ground wire into steel encased in the basement floor/foundation.

Ufer sounds correct and most likely. The grounding is tied into the

cable-tensioned foundation cables somehow (here). The electric surge

is spread in multiple directions (my guess).

Given that, I still think a whole house surge breaker at the panel is

still a good idea.

They are complimentary. You can have the best grounding system there
is and if 2000V winds up on the two hots from a lightning strike down
the block, the ground system isn't going to do anything to stop it
from reaching eqpt in the building. The whole house surge protector
connected to a proper ground system, will.