Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Lightning Strike, Breakers Tripped

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:02:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 11:27:22 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 1:34:18 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 13:02:17 -0400, wrote:

The best electrode these days is the steel in the foundation of your

house, if it is available.

If I'm correct this is what I have. My foundation is cable-tensioned.

I see steel buried in the foundation - between the framing (vertical),

at the access panel for phone, cable, etc. Coming from the foundation.

I see no ground rods anchored in the ground.

Sounds like a Ufer ground, which is what is used around here. They run the
ground wire into steel encased in the basement floor/foundation.

Ufer sounds correct and most likely. The grounding is tied into the
cable-tensioned foundation cables somehow (here). The electric surge
is spread in multiple directions (my guess).

Given that, I still think a whole house surge breaker at the panel is
still a good idea.

BTW, Ufer grounding is used in arid dry climates. Military has used it
in ammo dump storage facilities, like the desert.