Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default I do not like water-saving washers

On 2014-09-07, J Burns wrote:

We had a front loader about 1950. I think American consumers decided
top loaders were cheaper and more reliable.....

As a person who has used a lotta laundromats w/ front loading washers
over the years, I can assure you the new FL washers are not the same
as the older FL washers.

The new "water saver" FL washers leave a gallon or two of wash/rinse
water in the water reservoir. This is how they save water and it's
also what causes that wretched stink, if not left open to air out.
The old FL washers did not retain any wash water, but emptied it all
like a top-loader (TL). Also, Consumer Reports did a comparison of
washers (FL and TL), earlier this yr. Their final conclusion was, no
current made washing machine washes as well as washers manufactured 10
yrs ago.

I suggest a used GE top loader with the lil' white lint basket perched
on the top of the agitator post. They were built like tanks and
out-cleaned any other washer on the mkt. Problem is, parts are
beginning to disappear and no one is gonna make parts for a 20 yr old
washer/dryer.

nb