Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default refrigerator freezer troubles

On 9/7/14, 4:13 AM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I am back from fishing. Caught three 4" fishletts.
The most beautifully adorned rainbows I have seen in years.

To reprise:

Symptom: insufficient or no cooling.

Tests so far:

0) my wife informed me we purchased the unit in late
November 2001

1) found the Condense Fan motor leaking oil and replaced it:
no symptom change

2) all fans are operating normally

3) cleaned out the dust from the coils under the bottom front
left (my left) and any I missed from the back. Went fishing.
No symptom change.

4) whipped the back off again:

A) removed the relay from the condenser. Ohm'ed out
the three pins:
bottom to bottom: ~14 ohms
bottom left to upper: ~10 ohms
upper to lower right: ~9 ohms

I was looking to see if it might be your condenser... that is, the start
capacitor for the motor. A lot of refrigerators don't have start
capacitors, which would rule that out!

I found this:
http://www.davesrepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYcmprtest.htm

Common sense, but I was too dumb to see it! If you've got 10 ohms and 9
ohms, the third reading should be 19 ohms. I believe you have a short
in the motor. That would account for the stink episode.