Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default I do not like water-saving washers

On 09/07/14 08:51 am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Here in Europe, front-loading washers have been the norm for a very
long time already. The stink issues are real, but can greatly be
remedied, or in most cases even totally avoided, by doing two things:

They used to be very popular in the U.S. about 60 years ago. I don't
know why the fell out of favor. Now there is a resurgence, probably
because of less water usage.

My mother had an old Bendix front loader. I don't recall all the
details, but it used to walk across the floor from vibration. Not sure
how well it cleaned the clothes. It replaced an old Maytag wringer
washer. That was back about 1950.

Oh yes. Now I remember that neighbors of ours in the UK had a Bendix
front-loader 60+ years ago. I don't think I ever saw it in use, so I
have no idea whether it went walkabout.

Perce