Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default refrigerator freezer troubles

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 7:42:22 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/7/2014 7:16 AM, trader_4 wrote:

November 2001

So it's a lot older than previously reported. At that age, it's a lot

more likely to not be worth fixing.

CY: Who can tell? Might need a simple part.

I guess the repairman for a fee can give a qualified opinion as
to the extent of the problems. But even he can't tell you what
happens a couple more years from now, after you sink hundreds
into an old fridge. All I'm saying is that with a 13 year
old basic fridge when it stops cooling like this, the probability that
replacing it is going to be the best solution is a lot higher than if
it's just 4 years old.

1) found the Condense Fan motor leaking oil and replaced it:

no symptom change

That still troubles me. AFAIK, that type of fan doesn't have oil to

leak. There is a tiny amount in the lubricated for life bearings, but

to have enough that it leaks out, doesn't sound right. And

if the fan was still working, blowing a reasonable amount of air

that wasn't real hot, I would not have replaced it, until I found out

what's really wrong. IF the compressor won't start, the fan is irrelevant.

CY: Two fans in the fridge. Neither should have any

signifigant bit of oil. They both use bronze bearings.

3) cleaned out the dust from the coils under the bottom front

left (my left) and any I missed from the back. Went fishing.

No symptom change.

CY:Very often, dust will cause a no cooling problem.

A) removed the relay from the condenser. Ohm'ed out

the three pins:

CY: Condenser is a set of tubes and fins. Compressor has wires and can

be checked for ohms.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Relay in the condenser?

bottom to bottom: ~14 ohms

bottom left to upper: ~10 ohms

upper to lower right: ~9 ohms

CY: That's about right.

B) measured the voltage on the connector that I removed

from the relay: ~115 VAC

CY:Which is good.

5) while fishing, I asked my wife, who has every sound that

goes "bump in the night" cataloged, what the compressor sounded

like when it fired up: "A snap, followed by a motor whoosh".

She also said she hasn't heard it for the last few days.

CY: No sound at all suggests either bad compressor, or bad relay.

A) the compressor is hot to the touch. (You can leave

your hand on it for a few minutes.)

B) there is no sound coming from it whatsoever. No rattle.

No clunk. Absolutely nothing.

That's different too. From the previous description it sounded like

it was running for 30 mins at a time. If the compressor gets warm, but

isn't running, could it be a start capacitor? They are very quiet these

days, but I think when you have your head right next to it you should

hear something when it's running. Also, any evidence that the condenser

gets cold at all? Evaporator gets warm at all?

CY: Hot compressor but not running sounds a lot like

bad start relay. BTW, condenser should never get cold,

as it's the part that gets hot to release heat. Evap

should never get warm, as it's the part that gets cold

to absorb heat.

My bad, I mixed them up, but you get the obvious point, which is
to see if the compressor is running at all.

7) figured out that the welding, cleaning out of tubes, and recharging

are over my head when it comes to changing a compressor.

CY: Might not be needed.

Game plan submitted for you guys approval.

1) change the relay (get some dry ice on the way back

from the parts store).

CY: From what you write, this is probably the

part you need.

I wouldn't just swap parts without some basis to think it was the

problem.

CY: He just wrote a list of symptoms and tests

which all point to bad start relay. I'd call

that basis.

It's not even clear to me what he measured as the description isn't
clear. But if he wants to go buy more parts, he can certainly do so.

2) if that does not help, call a repairman.

At that age, depending on other factors, I'd put just junking it

on the list too.

CY: I suspect the replacement relay or a Supco

will do the job. If it does not, then the compressor

is bad. But I don't suspect that at the moment.

What's a supco?