Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Lightning Strike, Breakers Tripped

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 7:31:15 AM UTC-4, NorMinn wrote:
Wowser! Lightning strike two nights ago shook our house and sent our

puppy (briefly) into hiding. Our son lives about 1/2 mi. away as the

crow flies; the hit turned off some of his breakers. His

across-the-street neighbor got interior damage (pin-hole leaks) in his

baseboard heating system.

If lightning trips some breakers, seems to me that it also damages

wiring. No appliances damaged at son's place. After his heart

restarted, he turned off main breaker, looked around, turned back on and

all seems to be okay. Suggestions? Have electrician in to check it out?

It could certainly trip breakers without damaging wires. If there is no
evidence of anything else happening, eg devices/appliances, on those
circuits damaged, he's likely OK. I would get a whole house surge protector
installed which would protect against future events like this.