Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default We must be right in the sh1t ...

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim..... wrote:
Except that it seems rather unlikely that "which" would fall for
marketing claims.

Have they said the greater the wattage the better?

No, but a substantial number of their "best buys" were above the limit.

Bearing in mind that they (usually) take into account cost this is
likely to be on a value for money basis.

So it seems likely that whilst it is possible to give a lower wattage
machine more suction this can only be achieved by engineering changes
that costs more to achieve that adding a higher powered motor and thus,
isn't a marketing ploy at all

It hasn't occurred to you that these high powered machines might work
equally well with a smaller but more efficient motor?

What I might have considered, has got nothing to do with it.

The which results were based upon tests of actual available equipment.

I haven't seen the test, I am just going from reports of it, which implied
that the test included the comparison of high powered "inefficient" machines
and lower powered, more efficient, ones.

and something like 8 out of 10 of the best buys were the higher powered
machines.

Now, as I said before, Which best buys usually take into account value for
money, so (on the assumption that lower power efficient ones work as well as
the higher power inefficient ones) this suggests that putting in a higher
powered motor is a cheaper way of getting extra performance than
re-engineering a machine with lower power motor, and thus (as before) the
reason for doing this isn't a marketing ploy - it's to achieve extra
performance at the smallest extra cost.

Perhaps you don't remember when Which tested mains electric drills. The
largest ones weren't automatically the most powerful.

No I don't remember because I gave up subscribing 20 years ago.

But there are other reasons (compared with vacuums) for putting smaller,
more efficient, motors into electric drills other than raw costs.

weight of the tool and cooler running being something that is going to be
much more important with a drill than a vacuum

tim