Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default O/T: Advance Planning

wrote in message

Wife wants to go to Hawaii.

If you ever do and want to do non-touristy things, rent a car and drive
around Round Top and Mt. Tantalus (same road). In town, easily accessible
from Waikiki. Great mountain forest, views of the town, etc. I lived
there nearly 40 years and I liked that drive so much I'd do it at least
once a year.

Another interesting drive is the old Pali Road. It went from the leeward
to windward side of the island through Nuuanu Valley, up the mountain,
then wound down a precipitous road carved out of the mountain side.
Hairy. Most is gone, Pali Highway and a tunnel replaced it, but there is
still a portion left on the Honolulu side, reached by a turnoff from Pali
Highway. The attractions are jungle and views of Nuuanu Stream.

A third dadiOH recommendation is the Honolulu Art Museum. It is on
Beretania Street (one way toward downtown) about a mile from downtown and
two miles from Waikiki. About half of it is Oriental art, the other half
"conventional" including Gauguin and Van Gogh. The building itself is -
IMO - an extremely attractive one...a fine example of what tropical
architecture should be.

There used to be a lot of other interesting things but most of what
enchanted me has been razed in favor of high rises and traffic

I just thought of another. If you like to walk, go to the end of the road
in Manoa Valley and hike up to Manoa Falls. It is an easy walk and Manoa
valley is only about three miles from Waikiki.

As a bit of trivia, Manoa gets about 300 inches of rain annually, Waikiki,
maybe 20. The reason is that the trade winds have picked up a lot of
water; when they hit the leeward side they are forced up by the mountains;
up=cooler, cooler=rain. You can sit in Waikiki and watch the clouds
forming over the mountains; those clouds then blow toward Waikiki but
rarely get there because they are dissipated by the ever dryer air.

--

dadiOH