Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default I do not like water-saving washers

"Guv Bob" wrote in
m:

They don't get the clothes clean and stink about every 2-3
weeks. Have been buying some brand name cleaner that costs a
fortune. Anyone have another clearner that will get that stink
out and doesn't cost and arm and leg? Main ingredient on the
brand name is sodium carbonate, so I'm wondering if I just dump
some plain sodium carbonate (washing soda) in with some vinegar
if that would do just as good. I don't want to use bleach.

Considering that washing soda is an alkali, and vinegar is an acid... no, it won't do "just as
good". You'll get sodium acetate, carbon dioxide, and water -- none of which is really worth
a hoot as a cleaning agent except water, and you already have plenty of that.

Plain washing soda by itself will do about as well as the detergent. What made you think
adding vinegar would be beneficial?