Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default How to fix my BLO problem?

"Sonny" wrote in message

I'm not happy with the trestle board, coated with BLO. After almost 2
weeks, the surface feels oily and the edges, some areas with bark, look
too dark and I suspect have more oil in it. Sanding with 220 is
pointless, the sand paper builds with oil. I did wipe dry, when
applying the BLO, but I guess there's no way to get it as dry as I had
hoped it would be.

Trying to remove as much surface oil as possible, I wiped with lacquer
thinner, allowed to dry(?), but the board still feels, not oily, but not
right/not dry. I thought to do another wipe with lacquer thinner, but I
suspect this won't help.

Might vigorous washing with mineral spirits remove the surface oil, so
that the sand paper doesn't build up with "oily" sawdust?

Is stripping the board my best option, to get a dry surface, dry feel to
the surface?

Nailshooter gave you good info on how to fix but I'm wondering WHY there
is the need. He mentioned something about BLO and green wood maybe being
incompatible but even if so, I wouldn't call your wood green, been drying
for at least a year, no?

I've been using BLO now and then for 50+ years and have never encountered
your problems. It dries overnight, does not feel oily; don't recall if
sandable then but after two weeks it should sand with minimal paper build
up. Gotta remember, it never dries hard like varnish, just to a "firm
gum". A scraper might work better.

I can only think of two things that might have caused your problems:

1. Despite your efforts, too much oil was left on the surface. When I use
it, I wipe off with paper towels; I keep using fresh towels until no oil
shows on them. After that, I keep going back for an hour or so swiping
off any that exudes. If your surface was very rough, more oil would be
trapped and would take longer to cure but not two weeks. Not IME.

2. I hesitate to even mention this but are you sure the oil you used was
BOILED linseed oil? There are two types sold: boiled and raw. The raw is
what is used to make stuff like plumber's putty; it too eventually dries
but it takes a LONG time.

Just had a thought re sanding. It is JUST a thought, never done it (no
need) but I wonder what would happen if you brushed on a coat of varnish.
Would the varnish incorporate the non-dry oil into itself making it more
sandable?

--

dadiOH