Posted to alt.home.repair
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Water Heater again!

"philo " wrote in message
On 09/04/2014 02:48 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
philo wrote:
On 09/04/2014 09:00 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
philo wrote:

She said the water heater is new, so it should not be dirty yet.

New is relative - in a dirty environment it doesn't take very long for
the
honeycomb filter to get dirty.

OTOH, I just realized there is something fishy about this story...
I don't think they even make water heaters with pilot lights any more.

Pilots for gas water heaters are still quite common. It's not an
energy loss
situation (like an oven range) because the heat from the pilot still
goes into
the water.

My house is nearly 120 years old and the basement is pretty dusty and
I've never had any such problem.

I've been informed that they still do make water heaters with pilot
lights, so I know the OP is not trolling.

I did just recall however that I had a gas appliance (can't recall if it
was a drier or a water heater) with a pilot light adjustment.

If it was set too low it would alway go out...I'd check that .

Hi,
It sure does. The adj. screw is in the gas vlve body. Little cap covers
the hole which has adj. screw pilot flame. My camping trailer WH had it.

This water heater stuff looks pretty straightforward

here is the first Google hit

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/adjust-...ght-47952.html

The contractor must be pretty inexperienced

They checked a variety of things. This particular guy was new to this
company as of about a year ago. He fixed my sink prior. But I don't think
he is new to the business. He did have a trainee with him. He put in a new
pilot light assembly.