Posted to alt.home.repair
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Water Heater again!

"Bob F" wrote in message
trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:04:42 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
I would watch the pilot light flame with all the windows and doors in

the house closed and the dryer and bathroom ceiling fan running.

I'm thinking that if the dryer is blowing air out of the house, make
up

air needs to get into the house somewhere, and we may have a
situation

where the downdraft through the water heater flue gas ducting may be

causing a down draft through the water heater. The water heater may
be

fitted with a safety device which detects that "roll out" and shuts
off

the water heater, including gas to the pilot light.

I'm thinking that with the warm weather lately, people have their A/C

running and would close their windows and doors to prevent the loss
of

that cooling to the outside, thereby preventing make-up air coming in

anywhere except the water heater flue duct.

Julie went through this whole thing months ago. WH is in the garage.
And back then she said it made no difference if the garage door is
open or closed. I wonder if there is a chance the garage is so
airtight that shutting the garage door to the house could blow it
out? I've never seen a garage that tight, but who knows.

If the garage has a swing down door, closing that quickly (or opening
quickly) could blow the pilot out.

It's one of those with the hinged pieces on an opener.