Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Harris[_3_] James Harris[_3_] is offline

Default Biscuit jointer for DIY use

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/09/2014 10:03, mike wrote:
On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:45:56 AM UTC+1, James Harris wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

I have a Ferm one that was bought on offer at Screwfix several years
ago and, for the limited use it gets, it's been fine.

I sent my first one back as it was impossible to get the blade parallel to
the fence. The second one I can get it parallel, but you need to lock down
one side while holding the fence in position, and then lock the other - so
its not as quick or repeatable as it should be.

I've seen similar comments. Buying a biscuit jointer seems a bit of a
nightmare. The good ones are way too expensive for the use I would get from
it. The affordable ones just don't seem to be manufactured very well, either
having uncorrectable faults or needing a lot of careful manual adjustment.

One customer comment on this Silverline unit seems excellent where the user
explains his adjustments.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/silverli...w/212-2600.prd

Incidentally, at £33.50 its the cheapest I have seen to be available and the
same price is available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-S.../dp/B0021L95X4

If I were going to buy one of those I would buy from Amazon. IME if you have
to take something back Tesco's so-called "customer services" can be
extremely unhelpful whereas Amazon's response to issues has always been
excellent.

You can tell that Tesco have little idea about what makes a good tool when,
in order to describe it the web site says:

"This 900W biscuit jointer from Silverline is a blue and black biscuit
jointer...."

Ah, a blue and black one....

James