Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Advance Planning

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 20:02:25 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 13:40:42 -0400, krw wrote:

I will be flying the 1200mi to VT, probably this weekend, to
pick up my wife's car (was in an accident on vacation a couple of months
back). I'll fly because I find driving two cars at the same time,
difficult. ;-)

Don't know how long it'll take you to drive it or what your start/stop
points are, but have you considered the train? Amtrak has a daily train
(the Vermonter) from DC that makes 9 stops in Vermont and you can get to
DC on a train from just about anywhere. Takes about 13 hours for the
whole trip.

....on a *very* good day.

See:

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/87/280/V...ule-060914.pdf

OK, it's 13hrs to Washington, 13 hours from Washington to VT (Essex
Junction would be good but I'd be dumped on the street, there), and
another 12 hours overnight waiting in a train station in DC (not my
cup-o-tea). 36hrs, vs. 4.5hrs, at about the same cost as a next-day
airfare. I still don't know when I'm going.

Maybe Friday, maybe next Thursday (the next time I can get free). I
also don't want to take four days off work. It would also be nice to
drive it a bit to make sure it's fixed before I leave.