Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Bricket Samsung Smart TV, How Tell if Hardware or SoftwareProblem?

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 13:24:45 -0700, KenO wrote:

Recently inherited a nonworking Samsung LN40C630 with no signs of
external damage to either the screen or front and back body.

...snip....
Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

Ken

The absolute first place I'd look is at ALL the SMPS capacitors to make
certain their Resr's are as low as they should be.

I had a Vizio that very reluctantly would come on, kind of like yours,
almost but not quite. So, we left it on all the time, keeping all the caps
warm, so everything kept working. We had a power outage! I turned on,
turned off, turned on, turned off, until the heat finally came up enough
that it stayed on, so again never turned it off. until, another power
outage, so bought another.

Checking the caps, some had 1.7 ohms!! heat up with a soldering iron, and
that resistance would drop down to 0.3 ohms no wonder the TV would stay
on, once on!.

Anyway, check those first. standard failure mode on these TV's [my
understanding]

If you're short test equipment to do the resistance check try Bob Masta
DAQARTA v7.50?
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com

He has a new release that includes an LCR meter! Just use your soundcard.