Posted to sci.electronics.repair
KenO KenO is offline

Default Bricket Samsung Smart TV, How Tell if Hardware or Software Problem?

Recently inherited a nonworking Samsung LN40C630 with no signs of external damage to either the screen or front and back body.

While this is the first LCD I have worked on, have been taught to check for burnt and broken components and PC boards, and count flashes and beeps when turn unit on/off.

To date I have only plugged the set in and turned it on and off with these results.

When plug in the AC cord the set makes a short musical sound(MS) and the power light(PL) flashes 6x then off.

When turn the set on get shorter (MS) and (PL) stays on but there is no screen light.

When turn the set off get shorter (MS) and (PL) flashes 5x then off.

After opening the back checked the 2 fuses and the front and back sides of the Power Board (PB) and Main Board (MB).

The 2 fuses were OK and I did not notice any burned/broken components or traces on either board. Upper left of MB noticed Switch SW701.

Then removed the MB connector and plugged the AC cord in and the LCD back light came on.

Pushed SW701, reconnected MB and when connected AC cord got 5 power LED flashes and short music, touched power and LED came on and stayed on (no flashes) but no screen came up and the Input Mode and Menu did not work.After ~ 1 minute touched power and got 5 flashes and short music and set turned off.. Also got same results with a DVD player connected to AV2.

Wonder if these flashes are same as PC BIOS "No Boot" beeps?

Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

Ken