Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Li-ion Batteries

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

I have heard it is best to not run past 80% discharge and I suspect that
is why most Li-Ion batteries have gas gauges these days. I have heard
that some packs will not allow discharge beyond a certain point.

I used the Kobalt battery packs to rebuild my old NiCad packs, and they
appear to cycle through the batteries as they charge.

The same lights that are the fuel gauge blink one at a time, progressively
as a normal charge takes place. I think I also read that the charger
equalizes the batteries, also. They will not charge they are too hot, I
know. They will not charge if you fry the onboard chip circuitry.
Unfortunately, I know that to be true after a blob of hot solder dropped
onto the chip. The battery does stoop putting out juice when the demands on
it are too high. If the voltage is getting low, it will put out fairly high
amps. After the voltage gets lower, it will not put out hardly any amps
before it turns off.

I tend to charge often. If I have been using a fair amount of battery
power, I put it on charge when I quit for the night. If you believe what
you read, it does not hurt the battery in life or output to charge often, so
that works for me.
--
Jim in NC

---