Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Li-ion Batteries

On 9/2/2014 11:19 AM, Morgans wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

From what I have read else where and which is backed up by the Prime
cell site is that the batteries circuitry controls whether the battery
cells will receive a charge or not depending on its current voltage,
temperature. If you put in a mix of cells that are not very close to
the same voltage to begin with the charger may not properly charge all
of the cells.

At least some packs use the same technology as is found in laptop
battery packs. Each cell is tested individually during the charging
process and the packs internal chip decides if it will be getting a
voltage during the next charging pulse. They equalize the weak cells
and bring them up to full strength while cutting power to cells that are
full, or to cells that are too hot during the charging process.

No doubt however one does not know what is going on in every case with
each manufacturer. The circuitry may or may not take care of voltage
differences.

I have a hobby charger that charges RC packs much the same way. It has
to have the correct hookups to use the full equalizing process. Many
say that if the user does not push the cells to absolute deadness, and
discharges the whole pack right after a charge once in a while that
balancing is not needed. I'm not convinced on that one.

I have heard it is best to not run past 80% discharge and I suspect that
is why most Li-Ion batteries have gas gauges these days. I have heard
that some packs will not allow discharge beyond a certain point.