Posted to rec.woodworking
FTG FTG is offline

Default A new tool!

"Leon" wrote in message

"FTG" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 17:06:52 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
http://www.precisioncasewerk.com/products.html
I'll post a review as I proceed with this job.

I considered buying Woodpecker's hole jig, but it's not nearly in the
class of the Precision Casewerk hole tool.

http://www.woodpeck.com/shelfpintemplate.html

If you are still looking, the Rockler JIG IT® Shelving Jig
w/Self-Centering
Bit works really well. I just wanted something that would do more. As
mentioned I was originally looking for a jig for drilling holes accurately
and quickly for drawer and door pulls. The line boring accessory was a
nice plus...

I had a project a few years ago that required almost 1000 shelf pins. I
started using the Rockler Jig and self centering bit. After an hour of
drilling holes with the self centering bit I switched to a plunge router.
The 3/8" base plate bushing for a PC 690 fits perfectly into the jig
holes. I ground the end of the bushing down so that it did not bottom out
in the jig, installed a 1/4" bit and finished the job in a quarter of the
time it would have taken me with the drill bit..

I find that extremely hard to believe. I have seen most all woodworking
shows use a plunge router for this purpose but they seldom continue to do
so. I would think that lifting a tool that is twice as heavy would be
slower. I really don't see any advantage that would make the router faster.
Can you explain where the time savings comes in?

No problem with router weight. I was able to stand over the work and lift
the router with two hands. Not heavy at all. I had the 8' long plywood
sides laid out on the work bench and was able to rout the holes down one
edge, flip the sheet end to end and go down the back side. Using the self
centering drill bit was a mess. It would clog up every couple of holes, and
some the holes it cut were not perpendicular to the side of the sheet.
Using the router corrected all problems. Maybe not the way I would do the
job if I were drilling ten or twelve pin holes, but it worked very well with
no fatigue for many hundreds of them.