Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default A new tool!

On 9/2/14, 8:26 AM, Leon wrote:
"FTG" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 17:06:52 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
http://www.precisioncasewerk.com/products.html I'll post a
review as I proceed with this job.

I considered buying Woodpecker's hole jig, but it's not nearly in
the class of the Precision Casewerk hole tool.

http://www.woodpeck.com/shelfpintemplate.html

If you are still looking, the Rockler JIG IT® Shelving Jig
w/Self-Centering Bit works really well. I just wanted something
that would do more. As I mentioned I was originally looking for a
jig for drilling holes accurately and quickly for drawer and door
pulls. The line boring accessory was a nice plus...

I had a project a few years ago that required almost 1000 shelf
pins. I started using the Rockler Jig and self centering bit.
After an hour of drilling holes with the self centering bit I
switched to a plunge router. The 3/8" base plate bushing for a PC
690 fits perfectly into the jig holes. I ground the end of the
bushing down so that it did not bottom out in the jig, installed a
1/4" bit and finished the job in a quarter of the time it would
have taken me with the drill bit..

I find that extremely hard to believe. I have seen most all
woodworking shows use a plunge router for this purpose but they
seldom continue to do so. I would think that lifting a tool that is
twice as heavy would be slower. I really don't see any advantage that
would make the router faster. Can you explain where the time savings
comes in?

I have yet to find one of those shelf-pin bits with the spring mechanism
and centering bushing that didn't clog and have to be fiddled with to
unclog every few holes. I spend more time unclogging the bit than
drilling holes, so a router would save time in that instance.

However, as you stated, using a router to drill a 1/4" hole is kind of
like using a 16' extension ladder to reach the top of the fridge. Since
I usually drill my shelf pin holes after assembly, the router would be
the worst option. If I were drilling 1000 pin holes and had all the
case sides lined up on benches with jigs clamped up, ready to go in a
production scenario, then the router would be the way to go.

The time savings is all these situations always comes into play *after*
any jigs are already set up and clamped up and ready for boring. The
beauty of the Rockler/Woodcraft/Bench Dog shelf pin jigs is there is
next to no set up required out of the box.

I can grab my Woodcraft pin jig from the toolbox drawer and take it to a
bookcase without a tape measure or clamp or pencil and start drilling
perfectly spaced holes. Jig in one hand, drill in the other and ready
to go.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)