Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Windows scam call

On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 17:37:55 +0200, nestork
wrote:

This "Windows" scam is new to me. I haven't heard about it yet, but I
presume it's all about me taking out my wallet and giving my credit card
number to someone for helping me fix Windows on one of my computers.

A few years ago, it was a Nigerian that was offering to send us our
share of King Mbtubu's enormous estate if we paid the inheritance tax on
that money up front.

I blame television. TV shows in the USA show people that wait tables in
restaurants or work as labourers in car washes living in modern spacious
apartments, wearing new stylish clothing and not having any financial
problems.

Those shows go into syndication and end up being what people in Africa
and Asia watch on a daily basis, and they believe what they see.
Laverne and Shirley both work as waitresses in a restaurant and live in
a nice apartment and always wear nice clothes. Red Foxx collects scrap
metal for a living and lives in a modern house with his son instead of a
hovel made of corrugated metal on the edge of a land fill site. People
who collect scrap metal in America are clearly wealthier than the
bankers in Bangalore.

People in Africa and Asia figure that if they can fool even one of the
millions of Americans and Canadians they contact by e-mail to send them
money or allow them to withdraw money from their credit card account, it
makes the endeavor worth their while.

It would help a lot if modern TV programs showed the ugly reality of
some people's lives in the West. Say 19 year old girls that have a
child from a absentee father trying to figure out how they can go to
work, and pay for rent and day care for their child at the same time.
Or, perhaps 17 year old guys who are addicted to prescription pain
killers who use what little money they get from shoplifting to get
high.

It's clearly the "London streets are paved with gold" syndrome. 300
years ago in Britain, the only people that could afford a horse and
carridge to take them out into the country were the very wealthy. Since
every Londoner the country folk encountered were very wealthy, the
country folk came to believe that ALL Londoners were very wealthy; so
much so that the streets in London were paved with gold.

Oh stop. Everybody knows it is Bush's fault. Hollywood and liberal
media would never do such a thing.
--
Somtimes you just have a bad day at the dungeon