Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which: re-rivet or weld?

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 13:34:17 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 8/31/2014 1:05 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 13:37:34 -0400, Joe
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

I have an old Jon boat, from Sears, that has a bunch of leaky rivets.
In the past I had one of these boats, not a Sears but almost identical
that also had leaky rivets. I re-set all of the leaky rivets and after
a few years some started to leak again. No surprise there. So with the
boat I have now I'm thinking of MIG welding around all the rivets on
the outside of the boat and then running some beads on the inside
bracing because some of the rivets will be loose. I know the welds
will add some drag but I really don't care, the only bodies of water
this boat will be going in are small so even if the motor quits the
rowing distance will be short. Opinions?

If it's so old that the rivets are leaking you have more problems than
just leaky rivets.

Like metal fatigue - concentrated around the leaky rivets.

I would not even bother trying to weld or rivet.

Maybe coat the bottom with truck bed liner?

Or recycle it for aluminum scrap?

Truck bed lining can be had in a multitude of colors...including
white, tan and light brown

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRAY-ON-BLA...-/171040297720

PJ O'Rourke