Ken Moon

Default Spalting .... WAS: Large Chunks of Soft Maple Any Good

"AHilton" wrote in message
SNIP
I mainly deal with American Sycamore, White Oak
and Sweetgum now and ship 2 to 3 times a year several hundreds logs.

SNIP ----------------
Maybe where YOU spalt your pieces there are plenty of these
particular fungus but certainly not everywhere. There are specific fungus
involved here and they aren't everywhere. Move 5 feet away and you may not
have enough to colonize to the degree necessary for spalting or you'll get
minimal results.

Andrew,
I have never seen spalted oak. Most around here (central Texas) seems to
just go from OK to soft to rot. I have some white oak, red oak, and post oak
and some hackberry that I'd like to try to spalt. Do you use the same fungus
"farm" for your oak as you do for the others? I have a spalted oak bowl
blank. If I use the shaving from this blank as a starter mulch, should it do
ok on the oak? TIA for additional info.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX