Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What do you think.

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:36:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/31/2014 1:13 AM, micky wrote:

The only alternative I can see is to try to get a regular mortgage,
probably hard to do when your income is too low for you to live on. But
if you could get the mortgage, say 100,000, and you put 50,000 away to
make mortgage payments with, you'd only have half the money also. Then
every month you'd make the payment and the amount you owed would go
down, and if you lived 15, or 20 or 30 years longer (depending on the
term of the mortgage) you'd own the house again completely. And you'd
die with a 120,000 asset, while living short of money all those years.

I know of someone who did that just before retiring. Don't know the
details, but with low interest rates and decent investments it is
costing about nothing. It is sort of a DIY reverse mortgage.

If we knew when we would check out, planning would be much easier. I'm

Maybe that's how we could get rich. Sell people a battery of tests
which when analysed (by us) will tell them when they will die, so they
can plan. It's at least as good a money-maker as the battery of tests
they're selling now that allegedly will help you to live longer (the
aorta bursting test, etc.)

using family history as a guide. Once work income stops, the first five
years will be a little change and by them I'll be leass active and will
probably need less to live on. Then five years and done.

Sorry to hear that.

I've outlived my father by 5 years so far, and my brother at 74 is more
than twice the age his father lived to.