Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default AC routine check up

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:13:04 -0400, "Charlie"
wrote:

It's been a while since the AC for the house has had a routine check up.
It is a 5 1/2 ton package unit on a manufactured house of a little over 2000
sq feet in sw Florida.
This is only a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico and humidity in August is
right up there.
Because the house is elevated, the unit is on a pedestal that makes it had
for me to get up there to see what is going on. A ladder is a requirement.
I had a cold call from an outfit that said they re gong to be in my
neighborhood and yada yada.
My quick question was who are you seeing here. I got a quick answer with a
name I recognized but I did not know the person.

He can get the name of someone who lives a block or two away anywhere.

From the online county property tax listings, or from looking in a
mailbox, or by going up to his house to check his AC and asking the guy
his name.

OK, I had the guy come out. He checked the air temp going in and then the
temp coming out and declared it looked good.
79 in 54 out.
Then he went outside and opened the unit up. I was on the ground and could
not see what he was doing.

When he came down he showed me pix and said there was significant mold
inside.

When he said the remedy was to replace the unit, I asked about using Clorox.
He said it was so bad that it would require acid to clean. Then he pulled
out the price book and started quoting numbers and said they could replace
the unit quickly.
And the discount he could offer was good that day only.

About here my BS meter was pegged.

I told him I could not decide today but email me the pix.

I was going to post the pix to one of the sites that would let me put up a
link to those pix so that readers here could see them.

The pix never arrived. I cannot even tell if the pix were of my unit or were
from other unit that he just kept on his phone as a sales pitch.

Question: Is my BS meter properly calibrated?

I gather it was going up a little bit at a time. So, Yes.
Charlie