Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Bought some gel stain and ...

On 8/30/2014 4:43 PM, Leon wrote:
Be sure to thoroughly stir the stain. This particular brand sorta has a
built in finish. If it is not properly stirred you may be melting it
down again so to speak. But for what it is worth, how did it act at the
store?

He applied it to a tiny area with a q-tip and rubbed it in some. Looked
OK, but he didn't wipe off.

Now having said that I had the same issue with a Java color almost 4
years ago. I think it was old or they have changed the formula. If you
are wiping and actually removing the stain color when going over a
previously stained spot the stuff may be bad.

It was wiping it down with a dry towel that removed some of the color.

Gel stains have always
given me great results except fot that can 4 years ago.

Typically after the first coat of stain has thoroughly dried you can re
apply for a darker finish. Also DON'T sand past 180, you don't want to
burnish the surface such that the stain will not properly adhere.

I sanded to 180. The can, by the way, says don't sand past 150.

One last thing, I only wipe hard enough immediately after application to
remove the excess and so that there are no blotches.

I wiped pretty hard, and pretty soon. A little later, and a little
lighter touch seemed to work better. The two stains layered together
produced the color I like the best. It's kind of a pain do an extra step
though.

---