Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Little Ingenuity Saves the Back!

On 8/3/2014 9:38 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 8/2/14, 9:56 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 02 Aug 2014 07:50:52 -0600, Brewster wrote:

On 7/27/14 5:43 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 15:27:18 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 7/27/14, 3:02 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 23:15:14 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

A couple dozen fence posts to remove. After the first two, I
decided I needed a change in technique. :-)

http://youtu.be/iMovNjHPRUw
The old "jaxk-all" or "handyman" jack works even better. a wrap of
chain around the post, hook over the snout of the jack, and "bob's
your uncle" -- Even an old bumper jack works fine - and a lot easier
to manipulate into position than the trolley jack.

True! I stated in another reply that most of the manufactured post
pullers I saw were just modified bumper jacks. Seems like there would
be a million uses for one of those given enough attachments.
Fence stretcher, bead breaker, post remover, building jack (to level
outbuildings) changing tires on tractors/implements, vitually anything
that needs moving or tightening.

BEST thing about the old style bumper jacks is no freaking oil leaking
out over the years!

Screw/scissors jacks don't leak, either. Bumper jacks take up more
trunk (or back seat) space and are dangerous (all jacks are dangerous
but nothing like a bumper jack). As has been noted here, modern
bumpers wouldn't survive a bumper jack if you tried. In short, good
riddance.

My comments are referring to post pulling, The bumper jack will give you
several feet of travel before repositioning.

As far as car jacking, given a bumper that accepts a bumper jack, the
only advantage (in my mind) is not having to crawl on the ground to
position a bottle or screw jack. Beyond that, bumper jacks are freaking
unstable on anything but a solid surface. In a 4x4 the advantage of a
bumper jack is you often need several feet of travel to unload the
suspension before the wheel leaves the ground.

-BR

And better than a bumper jack for length is a Rail Road jack - it is 6'
long! Those will jack up a SUV when over some rocks and has strength
to do it. The only issue is finding one. Some have Tractor jacks
almost the same. Tall ones. Tractor sales or third party tractor sales.

Martin