parish

Default Idiot of the week award. (me)

Mark wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:05:03 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:45:14 +0100, Mark
wrote:

Appologies for the length but if anyone has done worse then let me
know?

Puts the loftboard/jigsaw incident to shame.

Mark S.

That was an entertaining read, Mark

At least this is all happening *before* decorating.

A few suggestions.

- IIRC, from earlier photos, the roof tank was a galvanised steel one.
If you need to cut it up to remove it through the hatch, e.g. with an
angle grinder, do take great care and have water on hand in case of
sparks. Ideally use a different way to remove the tank.

- While the system is apart like this, find the water supplier stop
tap, turn it off and replace the inside stop tap.

- Get rid of any gate valves - they always sieze IME. Replace with
lever ball valves - these are also full bore but much better made and
not subject to the same problem.

.andy

Thanks for the tips, the hose - I wasn't putting that water anywhere
near my mouth. ;-)

The way to do it then is coil the hose up an submerge the whole thing in
the tank, ensuring that all the air is expelled. Then plug one end with
a cork or other suitable object, leave the open end in the tank, route
the hose as required, then remove the bung and /voila/!

I've stripped the old fibreboard insulation off the tank, had thought
about the anglegrinder but I'm running out of t-shirts from the sparks
already, got some new metal blades for the jigsaw after it coped with
the radiators so trying that first.

I think I've seen the stop tap outside on the pavement.

The valve with the wheel was pretty funny at the time, little a Laurel
and Hardy or Norman Wisdom when I hit that and it snapped off...

Oh and I've made myself a mental note to not add that extra bit of
cement when mixing concrete in future after having to remove some I
did last year to put in the new gate posts.

Mark S.