Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Do coin batteries ever leak?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 06:40:26 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 08/27/2014 12:04 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 8/26/14, 10:30 PM, micky wrote:
Do coin batteries ever leak?

In a survey of 3,000 watches with dead silver oxide batteries, 40% had
leaked. They contain zinc and lye, which can produce hydrogen, which
can burst seals. High-drain batteries have thinner separators and are
more likely to leak. Energizers are the least likely to leak. Unbranded
cells are the most likely.

Lithium cells won't leak from electrolysis.

I've noticed with the standard carbon batteries, if they are left under
load (as in leaving your flashlight on in the pre-LED days) they will
always leak.

As to the computer CMOS batters...I have yet to see one leak
(and I work on hundreds of computers each year)

Despite JB's warnings, for which I thank him, I'm going to go with the
majority, whom I thank, and feel good. I haven't changed the coin
battery in my setback thermostat for 30 years, and it occurred to me
that it must be dead by now. Actually it might have been dead 10 years
ago, but I didnt' have a fear of it leaking, so I didn't remove it.
The thermostat is hard to get to, so now that I "feel good", I'm not
going to rush.

Other than that camera, I've never seen one leak either, and the camera
cleaned up with no residue. (BTW, many or most digital cameras use a
replaceable maybe rechargeable battery, but still have another little
battery deep inside. I didn't know that until I took this one apart.