Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default We must be right in the sh1t ...

Clive George wrote:
On 29/08/2014 17:19, Tim Watts wrote:
On 29/08/14 17:12, Clive George wrote:
On 29/08/2014 16:59, Tim Watts wrote:
On 29/08/14 16:54, Clive George wrote:

And his preferred manufacturer has failed him, but Tim is blaming
somebody else rather than the people who actually cocked up.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the Granny Smith analogy.

The manufacturer has been meeting a reasonably predictable demand quite
happily for years.

Then someone in the EU does something both unnecessary and stupid and
causes a run on product.

No, look harder.

Miele list 4 upright models on their website. 1 is over the limit, 3 are
under it. None of those three are sold by John Lewis. None of them are
sold by Argos. That's the cockup.

I must admit - I did not recall seeing all those models the other day
when I was looking at the Miele site. Wonder if they just came on?

They may well have done. Miele may have been trying to shift old stock
by not releasing their new ones while keeping the old ones at full price.

The new models will have existed for a while though - it takes time to
develop and release a new model, and this will have been planned since
before the new regulations were even confirmed.

They've apparently failed to get the new ones into the shops. That's
their failure, and it's one which needn't have happened. It just needed
a bit of planning to prepare normal stock to be delivered a few days
before the cutoff, round about the time the old stock was always going
to be discounted to shift it. The discounts are heavy, so the new stock
won't shift until it's the only choice, but it does mean it would have
been there for people like you who really want it.

I think you have missed the point, it is an unnecessary piece of
regulation. Let the market decide.